Thursday, February 16, 2012

The Great Salt Lake

As I drove into the Great Salt Lake Marina there were old buildings that seemed to be abandon. I couldn't help but imagine that one day these ruins were gift shops of some sort. Full of visiting people but now looked like they hadn't welcomed visitors in years.

Once we got to the marina I was overwhelmed with my surroundings. The lake was bigger than I thought it would be and the hills surrounding it were beautiful.

A sulfur smell permeates the air around the lake and where the wind blows it. Swimming in the lake would be tough because the water is so shallow in most spots. Not only that but the water is so full of brine shrimp, I don't think anyone would want to swim in it!

As I put my board into the water a storm was rolling in. I pushed off the dock and headed toward the closest hill. There was weird purple algae growing in the water so I made sure I stayed on my board. Because of the smell I felt like I was paddling in lava on some great adventure you would see in movies.

After a good paddle I got back to my car just as the rain started to fall. I loaded ip my ROGUE paddle board and began my 8 hour drive back to Denver.

No comments: